Fall French Toast With a Cinnamon, Maple and Apple Topping
We always spend so much time getting ready for big holiday meals. We plan our decor, get some pretty centerpieces for the table, plan our main course and go slightly overboard on the sides and appetizers, we bake pies and even cookies for a post-meal coffee or tea, but we hardly ever think of what special treat we're going to serve when we wake up the next day! This is one of those recipes that will have you drooling while you chit chat with family about the night before, or get started on those stockings.
This recipe for yummy vegan french toast is so easy, and we're kicking it up a notch by adding a very fancy topping that really takes only 5 minutes to prepare (hey! no one will know!). You'll need extra maple syrup of course and a pat of non-dairy butter too.
Here's our recipe, video and printable for our vegan french toast with a cinnamon, maple, apple and walnut topping.
Let us know what your favorite post holiday breakfast is in the comment section at the end of the post!
FALL FRENCH TOAST WITH A CINNAMON, MAPLE AND APPLE TOPPING
Yield: 6 french toasts ⎮ Prep time: 20 minutes ⎮ Cook time: 10 minutes
For the french toast:
6 slices of a very soft bread or brioche
1/3 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
1 ½ cups soy milk (or your favorite plant-based milk)
¼ teaspoon cinnamon
1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
1 tablespoon ground flaxseeds
3 tablespoons warm water
A pinch of salt
Some non-dairy butter for serving (optional)
For the topping:
1 apple, chopped
4 teaspoons 100% pure maple syrup (plus more for serving with your french toast at the table!)
½ teaspoon cinnamon
4 tablespoons chopped walnuts or pecans (reserve some for decoration)
3-4 tablespoons water
- In a small bowl whisk together the ground flaxseeds and warm water. Set aside and let it form a gel-like texture.
- While your flax gel forms, in a large bowl, combine the flour, milk, cinnamon, vanilla and salt. Whisk until well combined.
- Add in your flax gel and whisk again. Set aside.
- For the topping, melt the butter in a pan, add the chopped apple and sauté for a few minutes until slightly tender, stirring often.
- Add the cinnamon and maple syrup, stir and add the water and stir frequently until nicely caramelized.
- Add the walnuts or pecans and toss everything together. Turn off your heat and cover the pan to keep the topping warm while you cook the French toasts.
- Heat a griddle or non-stick pan brushed with a drizzle of high heat oil or non-stick oil spray.
- Dunk your pieces of bread in your batter, shake off any excess carefully, and place them on the pan or griddle. Once all your pieces have been added, lower the heat to medium-low and cook until golden. If using a pan you have to cook these in batches. A griddle allows you to cook all of them at the same time.
- Once golden on the first side, flip them and let them get golden brown on the other side.
- If serving with some non-dairy butter, you can brush them with it while they’re still on the griddle or pan.
- Serve them topped with your apple topping, add your reserved nuts and serve with more maple syrup and enjoy!
Thanks for watching everyone!
Enjoy more of our recipes here, and we'd love for you to join us in our video-based online program My Brownble, where we teach you how to cook amazing vegan food, and help you on that ongoing quest of finding balance. You'll learn how to indulge in your favorites and still prioritize your health, creating healthy habits that last you a lifetime.
In and out of the kitchen.
...and there's so much more. You can check out all the details here.