Is it just me or does anyone else refuse to eat a burger without a side of fries? I just love them! The combination of a perfectly golden and crisp starchy potato with some ketchup? Yes please! They really are the perfect side to any burger or sandwich, but the deep frying doesn't make it the healthiest of choices. Now don't get me wrong, I still indulge in traditional french fries every once in a while, but when you're trying to eat a bit healthier and still get your "diner fix" with a burger and fries combo, learning how to roast without oil can really be a lifesaver. That's exactly what I'm teaching you in today's video.
We're learning how to make delicious and very crispy potatoes, in the oven, and without any oil whatsoever. You won't believe how simple this is, and you still get to enjoy your side of "fries". Enjoy the video, recipe and printable below!
OIL FREE CRISPY POTATOES
Yield: Make as many as you want! This recipe requires no measuring, but as a guideline, I like making one potato per person.
Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook time: 35-45 minutes
A splash of vegetable broth
Chopped fresh rosemary (or dried)
Chopped fresh thyme (or dried)
Some sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- Pre-heat your oven to 400ºF (205ºC).
- Cut your potatoes into cubes and place them in a bowl.
- Add a splash of vegetable broth, only enough to get them slightly wet but not drenched.
- Sprinkle with your chopped herbs and add some sea salt and pepper. Toss to combine.
- Place them without any excess liquid on a shallow, parchment lined, baking sheet.
- Separate them so that they have enough space to get air circulating and get nice and crispy. Add an additional sprinkle of sea salt.
- Roast in the oven until they are tender in the center (test them by inserting a knife, skewer or fork), and until they are golden and have puffed up. The time will depend on your oven and the size and type of your potato, usually between 35 to 45 min, but go by the color and how much they have puffed and are tender, rather than by the time.
- Serve with some ketchup as a side for veggie burgers, sandwiches, wraps, on top of salads, or on their own dipped in a little guacamole or horseradish!
Thanks for watching everyone!
Enjoy more of our recipes here, and we'd love for you to join us in our video-based online program My Brownble, where we teach you how to cook amazing vegan food, and help you on that ongoing quest of finding balance. You'll learn how to indulge in your favorites and still prioritize your health, creating healthy habits that last you a lifetime.
In and out of the kitchen.
...and there's so much more. You can check out all the details here.