The minute I tried my first veggie burger I knew that I could go vegan no problem. Burgers have always been my absolute treat, my favorite thing ever. Mostly because of the fun of it. You get to eat them with your hands, you get to choose your favorite toppings and pile them on, they include things like bread, and ketchup, and usually a side of fries... all good things am I right?
I've created several veggie burger recipes over the years and they're always my nemesis. How do you get them chewy but also firm, moist but not have them crumble on you the second you bite into them. There's a little science to getting the perfect veggie burger just right, and today I'm giving you this very simple, high protein recipe that will become a total favorite (it has at our house for sure!).
What I love about this one, other than its awesome texture and flavor is that it goes straight from food processor to pan, making the process simple and the result totally scrumptious.
You can choose your favorite bread and toppings for it, but I highly recommend a bit of guacamole. It's the perfect pairing! Not to mention our crispy sweet potato fries which you can find here, which dipped into a little extra guac will make you swoon!
Enjoy the video, recipe and printable below!
TEMPEH AND KIDNEY BEAN TORTILLA BURGERS
Yield: 6 burgers ⎮ Prep time: 20 minutes ⎮ Cook time: 20 minutes
1 package tempeh (250 gr / 8-9 ounces)
1 can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained but liquid from the can reserved
1/2 a red onion
1 garlic clove
1 green onion
1/2 cup crumbled corn tortilla chips
A handful of cilantro
1 & 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
4 teaspoons oil for the pan
For serving (choose your favorites!):
Your favorite burger buns and fixings. For these we love some guacamole, tomato, lettuce and thinly sliced red onion, eggless mayonnaise, ketchup and dijon mustard, but use your favorites!
- Cut your tempeh into cubes or slices and steam them in a steamer basket for 10-12 minutes.
- Drain your can of kidney beans reserving the liquid (this is what is known as aquafaba, reserve 3 tablespoons of this liquid and place it in a bowl). Rinse the beans and place them on a plate over some paper towels and make sure to dry them well.
- In a food processor, pulse together the red onion, garlic, green onion, tortilla chips, cilantro, the sea salt and the flour.
- Add the beans, steamed tempeh, the 3 reserved tablespoons of aquafaba and pulse just a few times until combined but not completely pureed. You still want some texture.
- Form the mixture into 6 patties.
- Heat a non-stick pan on high heat and add 2 teaspoons of the oil, add in your first batch of burgers. Cook them for about 5 minutes per side or until golden. Set them aside and prepare your second batch with the remaining 2 teaspoons of oil. Let the burgers rest for at least 5 minutes before serving, this will help firm them up and create a fantastic texture.
- Serve your burgers on a bun with your favorite fixings. We love some guacamole, tomato, lettuce and thinly sliced red onion, eggless mayonnaise, ketchup and dijon mustard.
Thanks for watching everyone!
Enjoy more of our recipes here, and we'd love for you to join us in our video-based online program My Brownble, where we teach you how to cook amazing vegan food, and help you on that ongoing quest of finding balance. You'll learn how to indulge in your favorites and still prioritize your health, creating healthy habits that last you a lifetime.
In and out of the kitchen.
...and there's so much more. You can check out all the details here.