I know I've probably said this before, but there are just some recipes in which I feel some strange muse got into my body while I was sleeping and decided to take me over to the kitchen and pre-heat the oven. I start writing and choosing ingredients, I measure, whisk and bake, and what comes out is something completely unexpected. This cake is a total example of that because you would never guess from the ingredients that it could be delicious. It's practically entirely made out of fruits and vegetables, it has no refined sugars in the cake mix, it's gluten free, vegan and there is only 1 cup of buckwheat flour in the entire cake! You can of course use regular flour if keeping it gluten free is not a concern, but I love buckwheat flour. It has a delicious flavor, helps give this cake that rich dark look, and it contains more nutrients than regular all-purpose flour, but your cake will turn out delicious no matter what flour you choose.
If you've ever been a fan of flourless chocolate cakes, you are going to love this one. It's rich, chocolatey and if you decide to decorate it with the chocolate sauce, it just melts in your mouth and you can enjoy it guilt free, since it's one of those "I can't believe this is healthy" desserts.
The sweeteness in this cake is provided by delicious dates, and in case you haven't heard the latest news on whether or not dates are good for you please check out this amazing video! The chocolate sauce and decoration for this cake is totally optional, but I do highly recommend it, it turns out beautifully and it really adds to that chocolatey decadence. If you want to keep this dessert completely free of refined sugars you can buy dark chocolate that is naturally sweetened with rice syrup or the like. The chocolate sauce also makes it so incredibly beautiful, anyone you serve it to will be very impressed. Let them have a bite (or finish the whole thing) and then tell them it's healthy, gluten free and vegan and watch them do a double take... so much fun!
Watch the video
Download, print or save
Read and make the recipe
Sweet Potato Blueberry Chocolate Cake
Yield: One 8 1/2inch cake (about 8-10 servings) ⎮ Pre soaking time: 4 hours or overnight for the dates
Prep time: 20 minutes ⎮ Cook time: 30 minutes
1 sweet potato, peeled, cubed and steamed until tender (About 1 1/2cups)
1 cup blueberries
1 1/2 cups dates, previously soaked in water, pitted and drained
1 cup non-dairy milk
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1 cup buckwheat flour (you may use all purpose flour if you prefer)
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 tablespoons oil (it can be canola, safflower, sunflower or coconut)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 cup dark chocolate chips or pieces, melted
3-4 tablespoons of plant based milk
Extra berries and or nuts for decorating
- Pre-heat your oven to 350ºF (176ºC).
- Prepare an 8 1/2 or 9 inch cake pan by wiping it with some oil with a paper towel, and lining the bottom with parchment paper. Set it aside.
- Add the steamed sweet potato cubes, drained dates and the blueberries in a food processor and process until creamy and well combined, scraping down the sides as you go.
- In a bowl, whisk together the non-dairy milk and vinegar. Set it aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, cocoa powder, salt, baking powder and baking soda. Mix well until combined.
- Add the milk mixture, the mixture from your food processor, the oil and vanilla extract. Mix until well combined.
- Pour the cake mixture into the prepared pan and bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let it cool slightly before removing it from the pan.
- To decorate your cake, combine the melted dark chocolate with the non-dairy milk until you have a rich but fluid chocolate sauce. Add the milk slowly until you’ve reached the desired consistency. You may add more than the 4 tablespoons if needed as this will depend on the chocolate you use.
- Place the cake on a serving platter, and pour the chocolate sauce over the cake a bit at a time, and tilt the cake carefully so that the sauce slightly drips down the sides.
- If desired, decorate the top with some fresh berries, chopped walnuts or hazelnuts and enjoy!
Thanks for watching everyone!
Enjoy more of our recipes here, and we'd love for you to join us in our video-based online program My Brownble, where we teach you how to cook amazing vegan food, and help you on that ongoing quest of finding balance. You'll learn how to indulge in your favorites and still prioritize your health, creating healthy habits that last you a lifetime.
In and out of the kitchen.
...and there's so much more. You can check out all the details here.