Crispy Oven Sweet Potato Fries
This post is all about the story we've all been through to try to get our sweet potato fries crispy. The potato, I mean the regular spud, set us up for failure many moons ago. Why is it so perfectly crispy on the outside, creamy on the inside every single time? Even when you make them in the oven?
Let's face it, potatoes rock. I was a total meat and potatoes kid growing up, and after I went vegan my love of potatoes remained. Sweet potatoes are no exception, I love them to death and eat them much more frequently than regular potatoes now because they are so ridiculously packed with nutrition! We have become frenemies on occasion though, every single time I tried to make oven fries with them and they came out soggy. Sigh...
It took learning all the tricks I'm about to teach you today to really get them to crisp up, and the truth is, I was doing almost everything right, except for the fact that I was using too much oil, I was cutting them too thick, and I was skipping the magical step that actually happens after they're completely cooked. Now we're besties again and we've increased our sweet potato grocery bill as a result. They're thin, crispy, perfectly addicting, especially with ketchup and your favorite veggie burger on the side.
I know you're curious to get all the tips, so I'll leave you to it. Enjoy the video, printable and recipe below, and if you have any additional tips for getting sweet potatoes perfectly crispy please share them in the comments below!
CRISPY OVEN SWEET POTATO FRIES
Yield: 2 servings ⎮ Prep time: 10 minutes ⎮ Cook time: 30 minutes ⎮ Resting time: 10 minutes
1 medium sweet potato
3/4 tablespoon cornstarch or arrowroot powder
1 teaspoon coconut oil (or another high heat oil like canola, safflower, etc)
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
Sea salt and pepper to taste
For serving: ketchup or another dipping sauce (if desired)
- Pre-heat the oven to 410ºF (210ºC), and move the oven rack slightly closer to the top.
- Cut the sweet potato into thin strips.
- Top them with the cornstarch or arrowroot and toss them well. Place them in a colander to shake off any excess and place them in a bowl.
- Add the oil and garlic powder and toss well.
- Place them on a shallow, parchment lined baking sheet, but make sure not to overcrowd them.
- Roast them in the pre-heated oven for 20 minutes, flip and roast for 8-10 more minutes checking them occasionally to make sure they aren’t burning.
- Turn the oven off but leave the sweet potatoes in the oven for 5-10 more minutes to help them crisp. This step is essential for getting them crispy.
- Sprinkle the fries with some sea salt and pepper and serve them next to your favorite dipping sauces or your favorite sandwiches, burgers or wraps and enjoy!
Thanks for watching everyone!
Enjoy more of our recipes here, and we'd love for you to join us in our video-based online program My Brownble, where we teach you how to cook amazing vegan food, and help you on that ongoing quest of finding balance. You'll learn how to indulge in your favorites and still prioritize your health, creating healthy habits that last you a lifetime.
In and out of the kitchen.
...and there's so much more. You can check out all the details here.