My mother was the queen of stuffed tomatoes. She had so many recipes for them. Stuffed with meat, rice, beans, you name it she stuffed 'em, but no recipe was as delicious as her Provençal tomatoes. Her version was stuffed with lots of breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese, a ton of herbs and garlic, mine is vegan of course, and a total healthy treat.
What I love most about this recipe is that it takes almost no active cooking time, almost all the magic happens in the oven with minimal fuss, it's easy to make a ton for a dinner party AND people think you slaved over this delicious side dish... and no one EVER knows the truth (insert Little Mermaid Ursula laughs here).
When it comes to eating a healthy meal at home, part of the secret to have it be delicious, filling and fun, is to feel like you've made something special, that your plate looks beautiful and like you took your time to make it. This recipe fits all those bills.
Plus there's also the fact that it includes tomatoes and nutritional yeast. Enough said right?!
Enjoy the video, printable and recipe below and let's get cooking!
STUFFED PROVENÇAL TOMATOES
Yield: 2 servings (2 tomatoes each) ⎮ Prep time: 10 minutes ⎮ Cook time: 30 minutes
4 ripe vine tomatoes
A drizzle of olive oil for the pan
1/2 a red onion, finely chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
6 kalamata olives, chopped
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1/3 cup ground almonds
1/3 cup nutritional yeast
A handful of fresh parsley, chopped
Sea salt and pepper
- Pre-heat your oven to 425ºF (about 220ºC).
- Cut a slice off the top of the tomatoes, and use a spoon or a melon baller to carefully remove the insides and seeds, leaving the tomato hollow, in order to hold the filling.
- Heat a pan on high and add a drizzle of olive oil.
- Sauté the onions until slightly golden, then add the garlic and cook stirring frequently until fragrant.
- Add the kalamata olives and stir, then add the thyme, oregano and cook until fragrant for another minute or so.
- Add the ground almonds and nutritional yeast and cook for one minute, stirring frequently.
- Add the fresh parsley, season with sea salt and pepper, taste and adjust the seasoning and remove from the heat.
- Stuff the tomatoes with the mixture from your pan, packing it in with a spoon and filling them to the brim.
- Place them in an oven-proof casserole dish, cover with foil and roast in the pre-heated oven for 15 minutes. Then remove the foil and roast for 15 more minutes.
- Serve topped with fresh parsley and enjoy!
Thanks for watching everyone!
Enjoy more of our recipes here, and we'd love for you to join us in our video-based online program My Brownble, where we teach you how to cook amazing vegan food, and help you on that ongoing quest of finding balance. You'll learn how to indulge in your favorites and still prioritize your health, creating healthy habits that last you a lifetime.
In and out of the kitchen.
...and there's so much more. You can check out all the details here.