Roasted Corn and Bean Salad
Let's face it, Mexican food is the bomb, and I honestly believe that it's one of the easiest cuisines to veganize. It's all about the veggies, black beans, kidney beans, pinto beans, delicious ears of corn, corn or flour tortillas, not to mention salsa, hot sauce and avocados, three of my favorite things... EVER!
Whenever I want to cook something yummy, but that is quick and easy to make with ingredients I I have at home, I almost always think of Mexico.
This salad is a great tribute to its flavors, and the good news is you can eat it as is, stuff it into a taco or burrito. Anything goes!
This recipe was filmed and created for our dear friends at Vegan Outreach, an organization that is so dear to our hearts and part of our Brownble Gives Back Program. All across the US, as well as in other countries, their volunteers do the hard work of walking the halls and courtyards of college campuses, giving teens and young adults all the information they might need to eat in a more compassionate way, not to mention give everyone ongoing support on being vegan through their amazing website, all through the watchful eye of our favorite plant-based registered dietitian Jack Norris.
They're just so cool and we've teamed up with them... 'cause we love 'em.
Enjoy the video, recipe and printable below and go make it!
ROASTED CORN AND BEAN SALAD
Yield: 4-6 servings ⎮ Prep time: 25 minutes ⎮ Cook time: 15 minutes
2 ears of corn, silk and husk removed
A drizzle of high heat oil for grilling the corn
2 cans of black beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 a yellow bell pepper, diced
1/2 a red bell pepper, diced
1 tomato, chopped
1 small red onion, finely diced
1/2 cup fresh cilantro, coarsely chopped
1/2 a jalapeño pepper, finely diced (optional)
Avocado slices or guacamole for serving
For the dressing:
2 minced garlic cloves
3 tablespoons of lime or lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon sea salt and a few cracks of pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 - 1 tablespoon mustard
11/4 teaspoon agave nectar or maple syrup
- Brush the ears of corn with the oil and place them on a hot grill pan (previously oiled slightly as well). Turn them every few minutes to create a nice char all around. Remove from the pan and remove the kernels from the cob using a knife. Add them to a bowl.
- To make the dressing shake all the ingredients in a jar and let it rest while you assemble your salad.
- Add the rest of the salad ingredients except the avocado to the bowl with the corn.
- Add the dressing and toss. Taste and adjust the seasoning to your liking. If possible chill the salad in the fridge for all the flavors to come together, and toss occasionally.
- Top with avocado slices or guacamole when serving and enjoy! This salad is also great as a filling for tacos or burritos, with extra guac on the side!
Thanks for watching everyone!
Enjoy more of our recipes here, and we'd love for you to join us in our video-based online program My Brownble, where we teach you how to cook amazing vegan food, and help you on that ongoing quest of finding balance. You'll learn how to indulge in your favorites and still prioritize your health, creating healthy habits that last you a lifetime.
In and out of the kitchen.
...and there's so much more. You can check out all the details here.