One of the reasons I love to bake, especially pies, is that I get to make it a date with myself, my music and my kitchen. I take my time, measure out ingredients, think of a creative new combination for fillings, get my hands in the dough, do a little dance when a Beck song comes through the speakers. It's like a meditation in motion, only I get to have a piece of pie or cake afterwards. Win-win!
As much as I love these baking dates with myself, sometimes I want to make a sweet treat that requires almost no active cooking time. Something that I can just pop in the oven and have it do all the work for me. That's the recipe I'm teaching you how to make today.
We're stuffing some delicious apples with dates, walnuts, cinnamon and other goodies, letting them create their own delicious caramel, and then serving them with some non-dairy vanilla ice cream for the ultimate perfect healthy vegan and gluten free dessert.
When you don't want something that is too rich, but you want to get your sweetness on, this is the one!
Are you ready? Enjoy the video, printable and recipe below!
Yield: 4 baked apples ⎮ Prep time: 5 minutes ⎮ Cook time: 45-55 minutes
4 apples (I used Braeburn apples, but you may use any apple suitable for baking)
4 teaspoons of non dairy butter
6-8 dates, pitted and chopped
2 handfuls of walnuts, chopped
2 tablespoons of brown sugar
2 teaspoons of cinnamon
A drizzle of agave nectar or maple syrup
Your favorite kind of non-dairy ice cream for serving
- Pre-heat your oven to 350ºF (176ºC).
- Wash and use a melon baller or spoon to scoop out a “tunnel” in the center of the apple.
- In a bowl, combine the chopped walnuts and dates, the butter, cinnamon, brown sugar and a drizzle of agave or maple syrup.
- Combine well with the back of a spoon or with a spatula trying to coat everything with the butter and sugar. You will end up with a coarse mixture.
- Place the apples in an oven proof dish and tightly press the mixture inside the apple 'tunnel'.
- Drizzle a bit of maple syrup or agave nectar over the apples and place them in the oven.
- Place a bit of foil over the top of the apples to protect them from browning too quickly.
- Bake for about 45 to 55 minutes depending on your oven and the size of the apples. When 30 minutes have passed, the apples will start releasing the most delicious caramel. Remove the foil, baste your apples with the caramel and continue baking until they are golden brown and tender.
- Serve with your favorite non-dairy ice cream and enjoy!