The Fluffiest Blueberry Pancakes
Anyone who grew up on pancakes like me, knows that not all pancakes are created equal. Sure, drizzle any old pancake with lots of maple syrup and it will taste good, but there's an art form to the perfect pancake.
It should be tall, round, perfectly cooked through, golden brown, and especially fluffy and pillowy. There are so many tricks to always getting perfect pancakes, they have to do with the ratios in the recipe itself, with the amount of leavener used, but especially with letting the batter rest, the temperature of the pan or griddle and cooking them properly (spoiler alert: it might be exactly the opposite to what you've previously thought was pancake-making gospel!).
Today I'm teaching you all those tricks with this scrumptious vegan blueberry pancake recipe we created for our dear friends at Vegan Outreach.
Be warned, once you feed someone else these pancakes, you'll start getting early morning knocks on your door Saturday morning.
Grab that maple syrup and let's get cooking!
THE FLUFFIEST VEGAN BLUEBERRY PANCAKES
Yield: 6 pancakes ⎮ Prep time: 15 minutes ⎮ Resting time: 10-15 minutes ⎮ Cook time: 8-10 minutes
1 cup soy milk or your favorite non-dairy milk
1 tablespoon ground flaxseeds
1 ½ teaspoons apple cider vinegar
1 cup all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 tablespoon 100% pure maple syrup
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
For the topping:
Some non-dairy butter and 100% pure maple syrup
- In a small bowl whisk together the milk, vinegar and ground flaxseeds to make your buttermilk. Let rest while you prepare your other ingredients.
- In a large bowl sift the flour, baking powder and salt. Mix until well combined and make a well in the center.
- Add in the oil, maple syrup, vanilla extract and your buttermilk mixture.
- Mix with a fork until just combined. Be very careful not to overmix, some lumps are ok and this will be a very thick batter.
- Let the batter rest for 10 to 15 min. This is key for achieving perfect fluffy pancakes!
- Add a bit of high heat oil or spray oil to a large griddle or a non-stick pan, and heat it at med-high heat.
- Add your pancake batter using a ¼ measuring cup for each pancake and add them to the pan or griddle. As soon as you’ve added them, turn down the heat, top each one with a few blueberries, and continue to cook for a few minutes on each side until the pancakes are golden brown.
- Remove from the griddle and create a little tower of pancakes on the plate. Top with a pat of non-dairy butter, the sliced banana, berries, chopped walnuts and pour maple syrup on top. Enjoy!