One of the most exciting things that has happened since we started Brownble was teaming up with the awesome folks at Vegan Outreach to create videos for them and their audience, with delicious recipes, lifestyle tips, meal ideas and more. Once a month, we get the chance to film something really special for them, and the recipe you're about to watch and read, has been one of my favorites!
For those of you who don't know about the fantastic work that Vegan Outreach does, they're one of our favorite non-profits, one of the recipients of our Brownble Gives Back program and they're out there, day in and day out, in college campuses and online, spreading the word about veganism, helping people transition and stick to it, and all under the guidance of their founder and vegan RD Jack Norris (who you already know we love!). You can check out their work by visiting their website and blog, and don't miss their awesome youtube channel where you'll be able to see lots of upcoming videos by yours truly (meaning me!).
These delicious tempeh no-chicken salad stuffed pitas are very simple to make and they're so delicious. Partly because I added red grapes to the mix, and everything is better with grapes. Enjoy the video, pdf and recipe below!
TEMPEH NO-CHICKEN SALAD STUFFED PITAS
Yield: 6 small pita sandwiches ⎮ Prep time: 10 minutes ⎮ Cook time: 10 minutes
1 package tempeh
2 celery ribs, finely chopped
1 large green onion, finely chopped
2 tablespoons walnuts, chopped
2 tablespoons fresh chives, chopped
3/4 cup red seedless grapes, halved
6 small whole wheat pita pockets
For the dressing:
1/3 cup eggless mayonnaise
2 1/2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar (or white wine vinegar)
4 tablespoons non-dairy milk (unsweetened)
1 1/2teaspoons onion powder
1 teaspoon sea salt
A few cracks of pepper
- Cut the tempeh into slices, and then each slice into smaller squares.
- Steam the pieces in a steamer basket over boiling water for 10 to 12 minutes. Remove the pieces and place them in a bowl.
- To make the dressing whisk all the ingredients together in a smaller bowl.
- Add the celery, green onion, walnuts, chives and grapes to the bowl that has the tempeh, toss well and pour the dressing on top. Toss everything until well coated with the dressing.
- If you have time to chill the no-chicken salad for a bit it really makes the flavors come together, otherwise continue to assemble your pitas.
Thanks for watching everyone!
Enjoy more of our recipes here, and we'd love for you to join us in our video-based online program My Brownble, where we teach you how to cook amazing vegan food, and help you on that ongoing quest of finding balance. You'll learn how to indulge in your favorites and still prioritize your health, creating healthy habits that last you a lifetime.
In and out of the kitchen.
...and there's so much more. You can check out all the details here.